Featured Post

#AudiobookReview ~ Released: Vagabond Circus (#3) by Sarah Noffke

Released: Vagabond Circus, Book 3 Written by: Sarah Noffke Narrated by: Steve Barnes Length: 8 hrs and 33 mins  Series: Vagabond Cir...

Sunday, September 20, 2015

REVIEW: Veil of Time by Claire R McDougall



9781451693812_hr

Veil of Time
By Claire R. McDougall
A compelling tale of two Scotlands—one modern, one ancient—and the woman who parts the veil between them. 
The medication that treats Maggie’s seizures leaves her in a haze, but it can’t dull her grief at losing her daughter to the same condition. With her marriage dissolved and her son away at school, Maggie retreats to a cottage below the ruins of Dunadd, once the royal seat of Scotland. But is it fantasy or reality when she awakens in a bustling village within the massive walls of eighth-century Dunadd? In a time and place so strange yet somehow familiar, Maggie is drawn to the striking, somber Fergus, brother of the king and father of Illa, who bears a keen resemblance to Maggie’s late daughter. With each dreamlike journey to the past, Maggie grows closer to Fergus and embraces the possibility of staying in this Dunadd. But with present-day demands calling her back, can Maggie leave behind the Scottish prince who dubs her mo chridhe, my heart?


Chapters Indigo  < currently only $5.00 online 

Amazon CA  &  Amazon US  <note: this book is not on sale on amazon
About Claire R. McDougallClaire R. McDougall, a native of Scotland, graduated from Oxford University and lives now in Aspen, Colorado, with her family. After an early start as a newspaper columnist, her career in creative writing moved through the genres of poetry and short stories to settle on Scottish novels.

http://clairemcdougall.com



MY REVIEW
****

I bought this book because I seen it was on a couple of lists
IF YOU LOVED OUTLANDER you might like ... While perusing my Canadian online book store (Chapters Indigo) I noticed this (Veil of Time) book in the bargain section ... only $5 Canadian!!!
WOW!
At that price of course I am going to buy it!
when it arrived I was in between books so I decided that I would read it next as I was craving something more historical in my reading (I bounce from genres ...lol)
At first I wasn't sure about this book ... it seemed almost slow but it was still pulling me in so I didn't give up on it!
I love the idea of this story ... it's different than Outlander 
(personally I wouldn't even say it's LIKE Outlander at all) the only thing similar is it's TIME TRAVEL and it's in Scotland!
I think it's its own kind of story ... comparing it to Outlander isn't really fair.

I enjoyed the characters very much ... in both times!
I liked that Margret/Maggie is a woman you can relate too ...she's not a young lady but not old ...she's also not overly beautiful! I like that ... it's a woman I can relate too!

I enjoyed the writing (although I was perturbed about the REPETITION in the first half of the book ... every time we change POV it seemed we repeated part ... and while it gave us the other POV it was a tad annoying ... just my opinion though ... it likely wouldn't bother most people!) and the flow of the book was okay
(remember you are going from present to past several times ... good flow is important )

I understand that the history was Claire's making (Taking stuff she knows and blending other cultures yo create a  plausible past) as there isn't a lot of history of that time to go by ... but it's all good ... it was completely believable to me! =)


I am curious to know what happened with Maggie, Jim, Graeme ... Sula & Fergus  ... even the cat, Winnie!

I would certainly recommend this book to those who enjoy Time Travel fiction ... or scotia fiction ... or books! Haha ... 

...  there was some romance but I wouldn't even consider this a romance book 

Good read ... worth picking up! 



2 comments:

  1. Comment from the author: thanks for the good review! One thing I can tell you about the cat Wnnie is that one evening a few months ago, a neighbour knocked on my door and asked if I was missing a small black cat. I didn't think I was, but I went out to have a look, and there was a scrawny black cat just exactly as I had imagined her in my book. I wasn't looking for a new cat, but I took this stray in. And, of course, I called her Winnie. Life immitating art, I think. She is such a nice cat!!

    ReplyDelete