Featured Post

#AudiobookReview ~ Released: Vagabond Circus (#3) by Sarah Noffke

Released: Vagabond Circus, Book 3 Written by: Sarah Noffke Narrated by: Steve Barnes Length: 8 hrs and 33 mins  Series: Vagabond Cir...

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

AJ Krafton's THE HEARTBEAT THIEF ~ REVIEW #FiveStar #Fantastic



25153751

The Heartbeat Thief

by 
Haunted by a crushing fear of death, a young Victorian woman discovers the secret of eternal youth—she must surrender her life to attain it, and steal heartbeats to keep it. 

In 1860 Surrey, a young woman has only one occupation: to marry. Senza Fyne is beautiful, intelligent, and lacks neither wealth nor connections. Finding a husband shouldn’t be difficult, not when she has her entire life before her.
But it’s not life that preoccupies her thoughts. It’s death—and that shadowy spectre haunts her every step.

So does Mr. Knell. Heart-thumpingly attractive, obviously eligible—he’d be her perfect match if only he wasn’t so macabre. All his talk about death, all that teasing about knowing how to avoid it…

When her mother arranges a courtship with another man, Senza is desperate for escape from a dull prescripted destiny. Impulsively, she takes Knell up on his offer. He casts a spell that frees her from the cruelty of time and the threat of death—but at a steep price. In order to maintain eternal youth, she must feed on the heartbeats of others.

It’s a little bit Jane Austen, a little bit Edgar Allen Poe, and a whole lot of stealing heartbeats in order to stay young and beautiful forever. From the posh London season to the back alleys of Whitechapel, across the Channel, across the Pond, across the seas of Time…

How far will Senza Fyne go to avoid Death?



My Goodreads review: 
's review Read from March 27 to 30, 2015
I just finished reading this book ... i haven't even taken the time to reflect ... so this review is quite raw!
I very much enjoyed this story ... i felt many things for Senza throughout this literary journey. I was sad for her many times, often feeling so deeply that tears threatened and a lump formed in my throat.
The story was slightly dark but how could it not be?
The writing is brilliant and I am so glad I requested an advance copy for review.
this is not normally my kind of book but I took a chance and was rewarded greatly ...
i highly recommend it!


Now that I have had time to digest this particular book I am ready to blog about this book!

I had decide that 2015 would be the year I stepped outside my comfort zone and I would request ARC books to read and review ... I fear not being able to read a book fast enough (I'm a slow reader admittedly) or I might not enjoy the book and how could I say so to the author?
This year I have agreed to read a few books, mostly novella's (again fear of not reading fast enough)
the other day I got a newsletter email from Ash Krofton (I am a subscriber!!) that asked
if anyone would like to sign up to read an ARC of The Heartbeat Thief in exchange for an honest review on Amazon ...
The synopsis sounded good, a little different than I was used to reading but good just the same

I was drawn into the story almost immediately
I liked Senza ... but her losses troubled me ... how very sad!
and her fear was overwhelming, even for me, at times
I like Mr Knell at first and was drawn to him, as Senza, he was mysterious, dark, handsome, exciting!
I will admit that I was angry at him throughout the book as well
This is not a romance novel in that it is flowery and romantic ... it's dark ... love, loss, tragedy
Oh how my heart broke for Senza ... over and over again ... I could feel it within my own heart
As I said in my Goodreads review (and on amazon too) the writing is brilliant and I was drawn in and I am so glad I took a chance on both the book and requesting to review ... I was richly rewarded! Imagine my surprise when I rated it FIVE STARS ... haha

I highly recommend this book
 Dear A.J. Krofton,
Thank you for allowing me to review your wonderful book! 

for more info: 
http://ashkrafton.com/
http://ash-krafton.blogspot.ca/

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Lisa! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

    I thought I'd let you know a little bit about Senza's name... our heroine is Senza Fyne, which was inspired by the Italian phrase "senza fine", which means "endless".

    Senza is short for Constance, her given name. Constance, of course is a play on the word "constant".

    No better way to describe a girl who stays young and beautiful forever... or the love Knell has for her.

    *grin*

    Cheers, Ash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaah yes, I recall, now, her full name!
      I like Senza best! it suits her

      Thanks again!

      Delete